Our appliances are meant to make our daily lives easier. Although this is definitely the case, sometimes their hard work can backfire quite literally.
Some of the most common causes for house fires can be blamed on our trusted appliances. The simple thought is frightening.
Improper maintenance of your appliance can be detrimental to your safety and those who live around you. When it comes to the well being of our loved ones, we all want to take precautionary measures in order to prevent a tragedy. A simple action such as regular routine maintenance on all appliances can make a huge difference in the long run.
We found an excellent example in an article from the Building Performance Institute, Inc’s website. Quinn Korzeniecki goes into great detail as to why it is so important to maintain your dryer vents. “Unsurprisingly, the leading cause of these fires, at 34%, is the failure to clean dryer vents”- Korzeniecki.
Appliance neglect can be classified but not limited to the following:
-Clogged dryer vents or lint traps.
-Dirty coils on refrigerators.
-Signs of overheating with continued appliance use.
-Exposed wires in ANY appliance.
-Ranges or stoves being used for storage.
Whether it is something as simple as routine maintenance or something more serious such as sparks coming from microwave use, it is better to be safe and get your appliances checked out or replaced sooner than later.